Sep 3, 2012

The Highlight of Summer

My favorite part about my garden in the summer is being able to make sun dried tomatoes. Okay... so while not technically "sun" dried, my dehydrator does an admirable job. I sprinkle some salt and Italian seasoning on the tomatoes. I then let the dehydrator run all night and most of the day, depending on how packed it is. I use a Nesco 700-Watt Food Dehydrator

This year I experimented with some "green" tomatoes- they aren't just unripe tomatoes, they are still green even when totally ripe. They didn't come out very good though.


Tons of tomatoes dry down to one little container, no wonder they're so expensive!
In addition to just having regular dried tomatoes, I also made a jar of sun dried tomatoes in olive oil. In a couple weeks, once the flavors meld together, the olive oil will make a delicious dip for bread and the tomatoes will be just as scrumptious.

Sun dried tomatoes packed in olive oil