Apr 12, 2012

Not Your Kids' Grilled Cheese

In celebration of National Grilled Cheese Day, I'm going to share my delicious recipe.


Grilled Cheese Sandwiches (serves two)

Ingredients
  • 4 thick slices of white bread
  • Margarine
  • 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
  • Parmesan
  • Italian Seasoning
  • Garlic Powder
  • Lawry's Seasoning Salt
  • Approx. 1 1/2 cups of Cheese (Muenster or Cheddar work well)
  • 1 cup of Broccoli (optional)

Directions

1. Cut 4 slices of bread and let them sit out for about an hour to harden up a bit. I always use fresh bread from my bread maker with the butter bread recipe from the book in this post: Best Small Appliance in the Kitchen


2.  Apply a thin layer of margarine to one side of the bread slices. Spread the mozzarella on a clean, flat surface. Press the side with the margarine into the mozzarella to give it a nice even coating. This will become the outside of the sandwich.


3.  Sprinkle some Parmesan and Italian seasoning on the bread slices.


4.  Place 2 slices of bread, cheese facing down, on a griddle set on 300° or on a frying pan. I always use a Cuisinart GR-4N 5-in-1 Griddler - makes grilled sandwiches a breeze. Begin adding desired amount of cheese, garlic powder, Lawry's Salt, and other optional stuffings on top of the bread.

Arranging the Muenster Cheese
For these sandwiches I used: Muenster cheese, broccoli, and mozzarella
5. About 4 minutes into cooking increase heat to 350°About 3-4 minutes later flip sandwiches. I do this because I've noticed that the bottom plate is usually hotter than the top. Cook until both sides are a nice golden brown.

Uh-oh, I think we added too much cheese. Nah, no such thing!
Once the cheese melts, the sandwich will collapse

Enjoy!!