Nov 1, 2011

Cooking Applesauce on the Wood Stove

I love to save energy where I can. That's another reason why I love my wood stove. Not only does it make it warm and cozy inside, but I can also cook on it. Having a cast iron pot or pan will be necessary because it's better at dealing with the high temperatures than regular pans. Having an infrared thermometer is also helpful to know how hot the top of the stove is. I explained the benefits of this nifty little gadget here: Infrared Thermometers

This is an easy applesauce recipe, instead of cooking it on the regular stove, I used the wood stove. The temperature on top of the stove was a bit cool - 270 degrees. If you don't have a thermometer, just remember if there's a roaring fire in the stove, it will take much less time to cook.




Stove Top Applesauce


Ingredients
10 apples - peeled, cored, and chopped
1 1/3 cups water
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon


Directions
1. In a saucepan, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes, or until apples are soft. Allow to cool, then mash with a fork or potato masher.
Finished product

If you do a lot of apple peeling, you'll love this gadget!! Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer
Works with potatoes as well.