May 23, 2013

Hard Boiled Eggs Tip

Getting eggs from my chickens every day can make differentiating hard boiled eggs from not hard boiled eggs a bit tricky in the fridge. I usually have 2 or 3 egg cartons floating in there at any given time. One day I stumbled upon a technique that was easy, chemical-free, and didn't alter the flavor of the eggs. Simply add a handfull of dry onion skins to the pot of boiling water with your eggs.

The onion skins dye the egg shells a light brown
Top - eggs boiled with onion skins, bottom - fresh eggs
I also tried out another trick I found online. Ever hear of poking a small hole in the egg shell before boiling to make peeling easier? Yea, well it doesn't work too well. Some of the egg comes out of the shell when you put it in the water and leaves a watery pocket in its place. A few of the pinned eggs were even a bit mushy. I've found that just leaving my fresh eggs in the refrigerator for 2 weeks before boiling, makes peeling easy.

If you do try out this technique, make sure the pin is cleaned beforehand
Escaping egg whites and onion skins