Apr 5, 2013

RIP Miss Eglantine

Today I opened up the people door of my chicken coop. I usually open that one first to peek in to see if they're any eggs, so as not to disturb any hens that may be sitting. One of my EE's were in a nesting box so I left and was excited about getting my first tinted egg of the season. I noticed more feathers in the coop than usual and figured one of my chickens may have started molting. When I went back a couple hours later, I opened the nesting box door and Eglantine was still sitting there. On closer inspection I looked at her face and her eyes were closed. It was kind of eerie because she was sitting right up and everything, like she was sleeping. I don't know how she died, she was fine the day before. If it was an animal, it didn't do a very good job of eating anything, as I didn't see any blood. It would also had to have climbed over the 7' of chicken wire and went inside the coop. DF will take her out later when he gets home and inspect her for any wounds.

I am now down to 3 hens and 6 chicks.

Lots of feathers
View from the people door
Poor Miss Eglantine
Last photo, taken just yesterday