May 1, 2011

Natural Easter Egg Dye

I know its a tad late for this post - but here's to next Easter!


I receive Kiwi Magazine http://www.kiwimagonline.com/ once a month. It's a magazine geared towards families who wish to raise their children the "natural and organic way". I don't have children, but I got the magazine subscription for free and kept it because they have good recipes and healthy tips. One of the articles this past month was about dyeing your Easter eggs naturally. It sounded pretty easy to do. Since I didn't want to go out and buy a chemical laden dye kit just for me, I decided to give it a try. Also, broken up eggshells provide a good source of calcium to my chickens and this way I won't have to worry about feeding poison eggshells to my chickens! 


For pink:

  • 1 15 oz. jar of beets
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon vinegar
Bring beets and water to boil, let simmer for 5 min. Pour through a colander into a bowl to retain liquid. Cool then stir in vinegar.

For yellow:
  • 1 tablespoon turmeric or curry powder
  • 2 cups water
Bring spice and water to a boil, let simmer for 5 min. Cool

For green:
  • 1 cup water
  • 3 chlorophyll capsules (available at vitamin or health food stores)
Bring water to boil, then remove from heat. Open up the capsules and stir contents into water. Cool

For blue:
  • 2 cups frozen blueberries
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon vinegar
Bring blueberries and water to a boil, let simmer for 5 min. Pour through a colander into a bowl to retain liquid. Cool, then stir in vinegar.

For my purposes, I only did pink and yellow. After all, who has chlorophyll capsules laying around? Also, I'd rather have 2 cups of blueberries in my belly than on my eggshells. 


My result