Jan 23, 2011

Firewood Rack

Having a wood stove also means you have to have a rack to place your fuel on. Firewood should be stored a little above the ground so it does not get damp and buggy. If the wood on the rack is going to be used within a couple months there should be some type of cover placed on top. This is so the wood doesn't get soaking wet when it rains. I've also read that the rack should be placed facing north/north-west in order to season well and be dried by wind.

There are cheap, easy options for having a firewood rack.

This option enables you to easily expand the size of the rack. It comes with the metal side bars, but you attach your own 2x4's on the bottom.

This option involves a bit more construction on your part. It's just the bottom braces, 2 x 4's provide the structure.

Having a collection of spare wood laying around from when Alex and I took the back porch roof off, I decided to just build a rack myself.

I based the size of the rack according to the piece of plastic roofing that was underneath the house when we purchased it. It was pretty easy to put together. It did take me awhile to build, since I've never built anything before.

Gypsy inspecting our new delivery.